Miraculous Medal Novena


The Miraculous Medal, originally known as the medal of the Immaculate Conception, was shown to Saint Catherine Labouré on November 27, 1830 by the Blessed Virgin Mary. Catherine saw Our Lady standing on a globe, with Brilliant rays of light streaming down from her outstretched fingers. Around the figure was the inscription: O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Mary instructed Catherine: "Have a medal struck upon this model. Those who wear it will receive great graces, especially if they wear it around the neck."

On the reverse she was shown the letter M with a cross monogram, below it was the Sacred Heart of Jesus crowned with thorns, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary pierced with a sword.

The medals were first made and distributed in Paris in 1832, upon approval by the Catholic Church. Almost immediately many blessings were bestowed upon wearers of the medal, just as Mary had promised. Use of the medal today is worldwide, and the stories of the blessings continue to be spread.



© 2009-2024 St Pius X Parish - Designed and developed by GetOnline